Saturday, August 4, 2018

STRICTLY ON BACKGROUND, PT. 22: "A CRIME TO REMEMBER"

Sartorial experts say that a businessman needs 10 suits to his name. Being an extra, I find that the two in my closet -- both hand-me-downs from one of my brothers -- serve me quite well.
One in particular, a classy tan  number, has proven to be just the ticket when playing a newspaper photographer, whether for the Gotham Gazette or an unnamed Los Angeles daily. Even the tie, shoes, tie and fedora remain the same. Shutterbugs can't afford much more.

Ready when you are, C.B.
A Crime to Remember, like Grave Secrets (which I also worked on), is a "true crime" series on the Investigation Discovery cable network. Seeing that this particular episode took place in the early 1950s, authentic props were required. One of the extras, a camera collector, provided some from his own collection. After arriving at Jackie Robinson Park in Brooklyn (standing in for L.A.), he handed me a camera with a metallic plate that held the film. 

The camera buff had to teach me how to hold the thing with my left arm outstretched, then, with my right hand, slide out the plate, flip it over, and slide it back in for one more shot. 

If you think this sounds easy, then you need your ears examined. It took me at least 20 minutes not only to  do as instructed, but, being physically and mentally uncoordinated, actually understand it. At least on Gotham, I was given a regular 35mm Canon that any fool (i.e., me) could successfully pretend to use.

When the director first called "Action", I was still sweating out my photographic skills. This was made more difficult by not wearing my glasses, which were deemed too contemporary. But as the scene progressed, I became comfortable enough to look like I knew what I was doing (which is difficult under any circumstance).

Far right: my wife thinks I look like Warren Beatty in Bonnie & Clyde
in this shot, which proves either she's in love with me, or needs an
upgrade in her glasses prescription.
In the episode, my colleagues and I are covering a softball game played by local cops. By the third take, I had become more or less proficient with the camera. Luckily, the final cut features me doing nothing more physical than smiling. Maybe I was less proficient with the camera than I thought.

One of the perks of A Crime to Remember and Grave Secrets is that they use a fairly small number of extras, to the point where it's almost impossible not to get screen time. My first appearance was in a tight three-shot as the batter rounds third for home. (I can be glimpsed in the faux-home movie footage as well, which was shot with a different camera.)

The ballplayers are supposed to be the focus of the scene, but who can
take their eyes off the gentlemen of the press?
But I really hit the jackpot in my second shot, where the scene suddenly goes into slow-motion, allowing the audience to gaze upon my sleek figure... and wonder how a photographer can afford such nice duds. 

When we wrapped, the guy who provided the cameras (standing next to me in the two screenshots) told me I learned faster than most people he's taught. Maybe I've got a future in the past.

Another Crime to Remember perk is that the production lists the entire cast, including the extras, on imdb. My episode's page identifies me as Reporter #2. When you click on my name, it brings you to my very own page, where it says I'm "an actor known for A Crime to Remember". I wasn't aware I was known for anything, so I accept imdb's description with humble -- really humble -- appreciation.

                                          ************************
If you have a cable app that can access A Crime to Remember, my episode is titled "Badge of the Beast". Or you can watch this shaky video clip:





No comments: