Sunday, April 21, 2019

BLOCKED AND TACKLED

Although I tried.
You may have noticed that I haven't written anything in three weeks. Or, more likely, you haven't, seeing that you probably -- definitely -- have better things to do, stuff on your mind, etc. This, I understand. 

For those who may have wondered what's become of me, well... Usually, I start to slack off as Christmas approaches, then pick up again in January. This year, however, I stayed slack. I find that I have hit the wall, creatively, at least for a while. 

In other words, blocked. 

Some writers say there's no such thing as writers block, that all you have to do is write your way out of it. To them I say, bully for you! Perhaps they can give me some of what they've been consuming.

When I started this blog, I wanted to make it a politics-free zone. What I meant by that was serious political writing. If there was politics to be covered, it would be goofed on, laughed at, knocked down, bounced out. 

Today, I find nothing going on in the news funny any more. And for someone who's supposed to be satiric of current events, that's a tough state of affairs. 

The blockage has spread to non-current events, even reviews of wacky, obscure movies. And family stuff. New York stuff. After close to seven years of fairly regular blogging, I appear to be need of a serious recharge.

To Gary, who sent me email from the UK, all I can do is apologize, and regret you discovered my blog at the worst possible time. To everyone else, thanks for reading. I hope to return.

For the time being, you can read my latest piece for Next Avenue here. For any Next Avenue readers who are here for the first time, feel free to browse around -- and if you want to know why I don't read comments on Next Avenue, go here. I definitely read comments left on this blog, however. 

Maybe I'll return sooner than expected. Until then, if anybody wants to know what the recent biopic Stan and Ollie got wrong, I'm happy to let you know. Just ask my wife and daughter. 

Aaaannnnd... That's a wrap.

                                                ***************

No comments: