Monday, October 14, 2019

STRICTLY ON BACKGROUND. PT. 35: "SUCCESSION"

My first time working on the HBO series Succession occurred on December 19, 2017. So brilliant was my performance as "Upper East Side Pedestrian", it would take another year and a half before a return appearance. And this time, I would be facing the camera. It was worth the wait (for me, anyway).

Filming at Silvercup Studios East in Queens on June 26 and 27, the setting was a Senate hearing room, where my role was "GOP Political Type". (Some of my colleagues were playing "Democratic Political Type", which should explain something about my looks, age, and hairline.) Being unfamiliar with Succession, the only actor I recognized was Eric Bogosian as a no-nonsense Senator questioning the witnesses.

Bogosian, like Paul Giamatti on Billions, was an actor I found mesmerizing from the time he spoke his first line -- commanding voice, great delivery, presence. After Bogosian, what caught my eye was the cameramen -- or, rather, their equipment. Unlike all the other series and movies I've worked on, Succession wasn't shot digitally but on 35mm film. It was fascinating to see what today is probably considered old-school movie cameras in use, especially since there were, as I recall, three running at all times. 

So entertaining was the job that it almost -- almost -- didn't matter my first day afforded me zero camera time, seeing that I was placed near the back of the spectators. I think I saw the back of my head on episode 9, but there were so many older guys that it could have been any of us. 




The second day (episode 10) proved to be the winner. Just like it says in the Bible, people who were in the back were now in front, and vice-versa. As the witness enters, I'm second from the right in the front row. 








When the camera was pointed at the witness, I could be seen again in rapt attention. I think my tie clip might have been too high, but who expects fashionable attire from a GOP Political Type?

Bogosian and the actor playing the witness did several takes, often improvising their lines -- they were hilarious -- while the rest of us tried really hard not to laugh. 

It's too bad that very little of this scene made it to the final cut, because it was some of the most entertaining stuff I've ever seen on set. You shoulda been there.

Also, I would have been on screen that much more. There might be some correlation there, but I'd rather not think about it. 

                                               ******************************
The fine 35mm look of my scene is completely wasted on this jittery, washed-out clip shot with my Android:

https://photos.app.goo.gl./i7X3SeKJYLnTFsZy7


No comments: