Tuesday, August 27, 2024

STRICTLY ON BACKGROUND, PT. 66: BEHIND THE SCENES

 Having not worked in three months, I'm starting to wonder if my days as background have come to an end. So while taking photos like many of the ones below is against the rules, I'm at the point where I ask myself, What are they going to do -- fire me?

Productions with period wardrobe divide the changing rooms into men and women. However, if you're providing your own everyday choices, you change in little tents like these. Usually, they like what I bring. But when I need to change in these tiny tents, it always feels like it takes twice as long as it does when I'm home. Size matters.


Some TV shows have fans that keep track of where location filming is being done, and often take pictures of us when we're on a break. While working on And Just Like That, I took pictures of them. None of the background take it seriously because we know damn well these people are waiting for Sarah Jessica Parker come out and wave hello. But an extra can dream, can't he?

A still-existing sign at the former Arthur Kill Correctional Facility, where I worked on The Crowded Room.  I find the idea of telling prisoners not to use profanity to be pretty funny.



Even if the skies aren't overcast, these big lights are still used to illuminate the filming going on inside buildings. Ever wonder why those home reno shows on HGTV seem to have blinding sunlight pouring through the windows? Now you know: it isn't sunlight.




Just because the scene takes place in a bedroom doesn't mean it's a real bedroom. I don't know if this set was part of the production I worked on. Maybe if you've watched enough TV, you could tell me what it's from. If you look hard, you might be able to see tree branches outside the left window. Scroll to the next photo to see what it looks like on the other side.


Yes, it's true what they say: show business is phony baloney. Or, in this case, phony baloney trees. But it looks like the real deal even in hi-def. The magic of television!





A shot of the outside of a large New York apartment set. I can't even guess how much the electric bills for studios run. ConEd must thank God for the New York TV and movie industries.


Unless filming is done inside a real apartment, house or office, the image of the building across the street is a very large photo like the one here. I don't think the enlargement is done at CVS.

As we wrap up our behind-the-scenes tour, I feel it my duty to remind you there's a lot of hanging around between takes as you're waiting to be called for your turn to shine. 

And even when you're working in a fancy Long Island home like the one here, there's only so much oohing and ahhing you do before reading a book or scrolling through your phone or catching some snooze time. If the idea of sitting around like this for up to hours at a time before it's you do 20 takes of a scene is appealing, then background work is for you! 

                                                    ***********


No comments: