Sunday, March 28, 2021

FIRE MONKEY BUSINESS

 Depending on many things -- health, financial situation, and if you're loved
being only three -- turning 65 is either a milestone or a millstone. I'm fortunate enough to score high enough to consider it the former.

I was 11 when the Beatles recorded "When I'm 64", which, naturally, seemed several lifetimes away. Now that I'm one year past that age, where does that put me? Perhaps, to quote another song, beyond the blue horizon.

The oddest thing, in my case anyway, about turning 65, is feeling physically anywhere from 10 to 15 years younger. When you're feeling good 99% of the time, it's easy to think things will go swimmingly indefinitely. 

That's when I remember I was never a great swimmer. And so I need to take a few more lessons to keep me buoyant. 

Some people expected great things from me. Something about "potential", a double-edged sword if there ever was one. One one hand: Look at all the good he's capable of! On the other: It's not a definite!

I went to school with people, a few you've heard of, who have gone to big things. I would be lying if I didn't feel more than a little inferior the friends and classmates who live a more interesting, luxurious life than me.

And yet, as I write this on my kitchen table, my daughter (in from Philadelphia for a few days) and wife are in the living room, designing the family photo display that will adorn one of the walls. It creates a warmth that envelopes me. 

They love me. I love them. We're healthy and comfortable. We are so far ahead of where many people are. Happiness rarely makes the front page.

                                                      ******************

No comments: